Error 6097 while opening Company File in QuickBooks
QuickBooks Error 6097: cannot communicate with the company file. This is an error is usually caused by one or more of the following reasons:
- A third-party firewall installed on the network
- Connection to the server has been lost or the server is not set up properly to open the company file.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager is not running on the server or crashed.
Best possible solutions for this error:
- Download and run the QB File Doctor.
- Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Configure windows firewall or any installed third-party firewall.
- Check the company file folder permissions
- Try to create a network data (.ND) file
- Verify the hosting of your company file
Quick Tips to resolve the issue:
- Restart Database Server Manager or stop the service for it.
- Move the file to a different folder
- Set Power saving option to never
If your company file is stored on a portable drive/external drive, follow these steps:
- Your company file should be stored on the local drive. Working on your company file while it is on a portable drive (external drive), such as a flash drive, is not recommended. Proceed with the following steps at your own risk.
- Check your portable drive
- Make sure your portable drive is still connected. You may try:
- Disconnecting and reconnecting your drive from your computer
- Finding your QuickBooks company file on your removable drive from My Computer
- Saving other files to your drive to make sure it’s working (usb errors)
- Make sure your drive has plenty of available space (it’s not full). It should have at least as much free space as the size of your company file.