IRS form W-2 is a statement containing the information of salary/wages paid to an employee by his employer. It includes details of taxes deducted from his paycheques. The information of the W-2 form is important for employees in preparing tax returns. You should know the requirements of printing before going through the steps of how to print w2 in QuickBooks.
Printing Requirements in QuickBooks Desktop
The printing requirements in QuickBooks Desktop are:
- To print W2 form in QuickBooks Desktop, you need to use black ink and print onto paper. Verify that it is compatible with QB Payroll version.
- Make sure that you are using a supported QuickBooks Desktop version.
- Make sure that you have an active QuickBooks Payroll Standard or Enhanced Service.
- You need to have W-2 papers that work with your payroll service and printer.
- Use either blank / perforated papers or preprinted forms of laser printer.
- Now use preprinted forms for an inkjet printer.
- You should have the latest payroll tax table.
Printing W-2 forms in QuickBooks Desktop
Once you are done with the printing requirements in Desktop, let’s check the steps of printing W-2 forms:
Step 1: Open W-2 and W-3 Forms from QuickBooks Desktop
- Initially, click on employees then payroll tax forms and W-2s. With this, click on the process payroll forms.
- Now, choose annual Form W-2/W-3 -wage and tax Statement transmittal. Click on the create form button.
- Next, you need to select all employees in case you want to file the forms of all your employees. With this, click on the employee’s last name.
- Add the year of the form that you are printing and then click on ok. QuickBooks Desktop stores one version of the tax form only. In case you have already got the 2017 version of the form, but you have to print W-2 forms for 2016, you need to use the newer version of the form.
- You have to choose the employees for printing the form. In case you have not reviewed all your W-2 forms, you have to click on review/edit. You have to click on the submit form to continue the printing process. Also, select the employees to print the form. If you have not reviewed, your W-2 forms, click on review/edit.
- Finally, you need to click on print/e-file.
Step 2: Choose the type of paper as well as the item to print in the Print W-2 and W-3 Forms Window
- In the beginning, select between blank/ perforated paper and preprinted Forms.
- Now, you have to choose for whom you are printing, under select item to print section.
If you are using blank / perforated paper.
- 3 per page: copies B, 2, C.
- 4 per page: copies B, 2, 2, C.
- Employee filing instructions: Mandatory if not printed on paper.
If you are using preprinted forms
- W-2 – Copy B: for employee’s federal tax return, 2 per page.
- Copy 2 of W-2: for your State or Local Tax Department, 2 per page.
- W-2 – Copy C: for employee records, 2 per page.
- Employee filing instructions: Required if not already printed on paper.
- W-2 – Copy D: for your records, 2 per page.
- Employer filing instructions: for W-2 and W-3 form
- W-3 per page.
- W-2 – Copy A: for the SSA, 2 per page.
- W-2 – Copy 1: for your State or Local Tax Department, 2 per page.
Also Read: Where is the Gear Icon in QuickBooks?
Step 3: Export the form to your PDF Reader and start printing
- In case you are using preprinted forms, you need to do a print test.
- Now, you have to click on print PDF.
- Finally, begin with the printing process from inside the PDF Reader.
We hope, you have understood, how to print w2 from QuickBooks Desktop. Before moving ahead, it’s important for you to meet all the requirements of printing a check in QuickBooks Online.
Printing Requirement in QuickBooks Online
To print W2 form in QuickBooks Online, you need to keep these things in your mind:
- You have to print employee W2s on 4-up horizontal blank perforated paper.
- Make sure to use black ink.
- You should have an active QuickBooks Online Payroll subscription.
Printing W2 forms in QuickBooks Online
Let’s check the process of printing W-2 forms in QuickBooks Online with the help of these steps:
- Initially, you need to go to the taxes tab and the payroll tax section.
- Next, click on annual forms. With this, click either on all employees or a specific employee name.
- Now, click on W-2, copies B, C & 2. You have to select the correct date range from the period menu.
- Finally, click on view to open the printable forms and then click on the printer icon.
Printing W2 form in QuickBooks Online and Desktop will save your time. Printing W2 from QuickBooks will skip the step of manually entering the details of the worker. Now, let’s discuss the steps of how to mail your W-2 forms with adobe reader.
Print, Save and Email W-2 Forms with Adobe Reader
To print, save, and email W-2 forms:
- Initially, you have to go to the payroll tax center.
- Now, you need to select employees and then payroll center.
- Next, click on the file forms tab.
- Thereafter, click on view/print forms & W-2s.
- Add payroll PIN and then click on ok.
- You need to click on the view employee W-2 forms for all year’s link in the box.
- You have to click on the name of the employee for the W-2 you need to print. With this, you need to follow the adobe instructions to open the form in Adobe Reader.
- Click on the file and then on print.
- You have to click on File and then save a copy. Choose a location on your computer. With this, click on save.
- If you want to email the W-2, you have to select the file and then click on send. You need to click on page by email.
- Finally, attach it to your email.
The blog has given you the step by step procedure of how to print w-2 in QuickBooks. Besides, you will also get an idea of printing requirements in QuickBooks Online and Desktop. The blog also focusses on the steps of emailing W-2 forms with Adobe Reader.
If you want to ask any questions related to how to print w 2 in QuickBooks or any other QuickBooks assistance, then feel free to dial our Toll- Free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1-888-660-0582.