QuickBooks is an efficient accounting software used by small and medium-sized businesses. Many times, you face the error where QuickBooks is unable to start or QuickBooks running slow. QuickBooks performance affects your productivity; therefore, it is important to take care that the software works properly and it gets updated from time to time.
In this blog, we will discuss the factors of QuickBooks performance issues, the root cause of the “QuickBooks slow to open” and how to improve the efficiency of your work.
What’s the Need to Optimize QuickBooks Performance?
QuickBooks is an efficient software that simplifies all your business-related work. Therefore, QuickBooks performance is a crucial factor. Many times, whenever you try to access QB it says “QuickBooks is unable to start” or “QuickBooks slow to open”. This eventually affects your day to day work and hampers your productivity. In this scenario, you are unable to perform your work properly which also wastes your time and affects your work. Hence, in this article we have covered all the aspects wherein “QuickBooks is running slow” and how can you fix it efficiently.
Requirements for Network Setup
- Your computer’s RAM plays a major role in enhancing QuickBooks performance. It should have more than 4GB, else upgrade it to a higher capacity.
- Ensure that you are using Windows or Linux based server computer.
Benefits of Speeding up QuickBooks Performance
- Tasks can be completed easily.
- Increasing Working capability.
- Decreasing the stress hour
- Manage Time
- Increase Speed
Issues that affect QuickBooks Running Speed
- Failure in rebuilding the Data File
- Failure in updating the data files
- Loss of connection to the data file
- Failure in re-installing
- QuickBooks running slowly in multi-user mode
- QB client machine is not able to locate the data file on the server
- User can’t find the licensing information
- A new printer is unable to print
- The user lost the admin password
- Can’t copy or move the QB data file
Why the problem “QuickBooks running slow” arise?
- Too much time to open the file or unable to open file
- Company file tasks slowing down as the number of users signing into the file increases.
- Performance issues for everyone.
- Intermittent performance issues (some are quick, while some are slow).
- Company file runs fine early but then slows down as the day progresses.
Also Read: How to use QuickBooks Class Tracking?
GET INSTANT RESOLUTION
Get our expert Quickbooks ProAdvisor on call to resolve your query in no-time.
How to Improve QuickBooks Running Slow?
Solution 1: Creating a backup file to reset the TLG file
- Creating a backup of recent file helps to fix the QuickBooks performance issue. This is because it resets the .TLG file
- Navigate to the program >> select the File menu >> Choose ‘Backup Company’, and select Create Local Backup.
- Choose Local Backup > click Options.
- Select your Desktop, when it prompts where to save.
- Ensure that a complete verification is selected and then click OK.
- Choose to Save it Now and click Next. Choose your Desktop >> click Save in the Save Backup copy window.
Now, the QuickBooks will now create a backup file to the user’s desktop.
Solution 2: Reducing company file fragments and performing disk defragmentation
- The company file is local to the desktop; hence you can create and restore a portable file.
- After completing the creation/restoration in a portable file, the user must attempt disk defragmentation.
- Ensure that you do not perform disk fragmentation if you are using Solid State Drive.
- Click on the Start button >> then select All Programs >> then Select Accessories >> then click on System Tools >> and then Disk Defragmentation.
- Next, click on the Defragmentation button and follow the instructions that appear on your display screen to defragment your hard drive.
Solution 3: Third-party programs v/s antivirus software
Check antivirus software:
Some of the antivirus programs also affect QuickBooks performance of therefore, you can disable it temporarily check if the performance improves.
- Temporarily disable the antivirus software on the server computer.
- Unclosed QuickBooks, and look if the performance has improved.
Note: Ensure to turn on your antivirus after testing the performance.
Check third-party performance
- Press Window + R to open Run command > type msconfig > Enter.
- Now select Diagnostic Setup and click on Ok.
- Reboot your system and check the performance.
Note: Once you are done with testing, follow these steps to get back normal operation:
- Press Window + R to open Run command >> type msconfig >> Enter.
- Select normal setup and hit Ok.
- Reset your system.
Solution 4: Check Speed through UNC Path
- Press (Windows + E) and find the name of the server.
- You will find under the network location field.
- Once you open it, you will find mapped drives, like X:\, Z:\, Y:\, etc.
- The server computer name contains (//) 2 backlashes, note it down on a notepad.
- Put the server computer name and shared folder name as \\ServerName\SharedFolder Name
- Note down this path and now open QuickBooks.
- Choose Open or Restore a Company File.
- Choose a Company File and click on Next.
- Enter the UNC path in the file name field and hit Enter.
- List of company files will appear, open the one you want to.
- Check whether QuickBooks is running slow or not.
Check the speed locally (over a network)
- Firstly, open QuickBooks and press F2 from your keyboard.
- Go to file location and check where your company file is stored.
- Now, close QuickBooks and all the users should sign out of the company file.
- Click on Start menu and select Computer.
- Go to the File Path, make a right-click on the company file name (QBW) and choose Copy.
- Paste it on your Desktop.
- Reopen QuickBooks and navigate to the desktop location you have stored the file.
- Test if QuickBooks slow to open still exists.
Factors Affecting QB Performance in Multi-user Mode
- Company file starts working slowly with an increase in the number of users.
- When a company file takes longer time to open.
- Company file works well in the day time and slows down as the day passes.
- Data errors in different files which indicates that file is getting damaged due to a network problem.
Why QuickBooks is running slow in multi-user mode?
- Multi-users are opening or using one file at the same time.
- The data file is too large.
- The computer having the data file is performing poorly.
- A large report is running in data files.
How can you Resolve QuickBooks Slow to Open Issue?
- Upgrade QuickBooks to the latest release.
- Make sure that your network and computer utilizes Gigabit network components.
- Ensure that your PC is performing properly and it is junk-free.
- Conduct backups manually on a monthly basis.
- Access the database through URL rather than shared drive.
Tips to Boost your QuickBooks Performance
- Maintenance of System or Device: There can be issues in your system or device (laptop, desktop, smartphone) through which you access QuickBooks. For this, clear cache and cookies on a regular basis.
- Delete TLG File: QuickBooks automatically creates and store TLG simultaneously with your main file. If the main files get deleted, TLG file helps in recovering it.
Note: You can create a verified backup without using TLG files as well as any data loss.
Create a verified backup:
- Click on File, then Create Backup.
- Click on Local Backup and tap on Options button.
- Now select “Complete Verification”.
Prevent Corruption: Any corruption in QuickBooks can affect your work adversely, to avoid it, follow the solutions given below:
- Make a portable data file and restore it.
- Use QuickBooks File Doctor.
Switch off QuickBooks automatic updates: QuickBooks update messages appear whenever you open your system. If you don’t wish to get notified, turn off QuickBooks automatic update.
This article explained in detail the various ways and solutions to boost your QuickBooks performance. If you still face any problem, talk to our experts and get the best solution. Call us on QuickBooks Technical Help Number.