You may confront QuickBooks error the file exists issue while working on different accounting features like paying scheduled liabilities, opening a state/federal form, and downloading payroll update. You will see the error message on the screen saying that “The file you specified cannot be opened. Make sure that it is not currently being used by another program or a read-only file.” Also, you may receive the error message saying, “The Windows error was the file exists.”
The error QuickBooks the windows error was the file exists might appear because of various reasons. Before reaching to the solutions, you need to know the reasons for the error.
Reasons for QuickBooks Error The File Exists
Here are the reasons for QuickBooks error the file exists:
- Windows User Account Control is interfering with QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks users do not have credentials to access the Windows.
- The internet connection is performing slowly on your system.
- Improper internet and Firewall security settings in your PC.
- QuickBooks Desktop application is outdated.
- Error message is visible while installing QuickBooks.
Now, after knowing the reasons for the occurrence of the error, let’s discuss the solutions to fix this error.
Troubleshooting Solution to Fix QuickBooks Error “The File Exists”
These solutions are effective in fixing the permanent QuickBooks file exists error:
Solution 1: Check for QuickBooks Updates Desktop Application Updates
- In the beginning, you need to open QuickBooks Desktop and click on the Product Information option.
- Next, choose the correct QuickBooks version as well as year.
- Then after, press search and click Get the Latest Updates choice given.
- Make a folder and save the file.
- Double-click the installation file so that the update process can be initiated.
- Finally, restart the system.
Solution 2: Turn off User Account Control in Windows Settings
- To begin with, press Windows + letter R from your keyboard to open the run Window.
- Now, in the search box of run window, you have to type Control Panel and then click ok.
- Then search for user’s accounts from the search bar which is at the top of the Control Panel.
- Next, you have to click change user account control settings.
- Click yes and then move the slider down to never notify and to turn off UAC.
- Finally, restart your PC and update QuickBooks Payroll.
Solution 3: Allow Full Control Access to the User
- Choose Open File Location option by right-clicking on the QB Desktop icon.
- After that press the Backspace key.
- Select properties by clicking right on the QuickBooks folder.
- And press Edit then select Add.
- Choose Everyone and then OK.
- You have to select the Full Control option
- Then click on Apply option.
- In the end, you have to follow the steps aforementioned. Make sure that, rather than selecting Everyone option, choose your User.
Solution 4: Re-register QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX File Using Reboot.Bat File
- Initially, make yourself exit from QuickBooks Desktop application.
- Then, right-click the QB icon and choose Properties.
- The next step is to open File Location and then search the reboot.bat file.
- On the screen, right-click the Reboot.bat file and choose Run as Administrator.
- You have to wait for a few minutes, till the black color command prompt window scrolls all the files of QB.
- Lastly, it’s necessary to restart Windows and then check if the file exists error is fixed.
Solution 5: Re-install QuickBooks Desktop
- At first, you have to press Windows + R keys together to open the Run box.
- Provide the box with the text appwiz.cpl.
- Click QuickBooks twice and then select to Uninstall.
- You have to follow the on-screen prompts to remove QuickBooks from windows.
- The next step is to download a clean install tool from the authorized website and save it on your PC.
- Finally, use it for installing the QB software.
These troubleshooting solutions are helpful in fixing QuickBooks the windows error was the file exists issue.
The content has covered what QuickBooks payroll update error the file exists is, the reasons for the error occurrence, and different solutions to troubleshoot it. The consistent error problem will be solved by implementing the given solutions.
If QuickBooks error the file exists issue still doesn’t resolve by the solutions, feel free to give a call on QuickBooks Error Support Number 1-877-263-2742.