If you have written a check with an incorrect amount or it is sent to the wrong vendor, then you have an option to void a check in QuickBooks Online. The word void specifies that the check is cancelled and it cannot be used further. There could be many possible reasons for voiding a check, such as an error in filling out the check, incomplete filling of a check, and issuing a check to the wrong person. In case you also want to void a check, you need to understand the steps of how to void a check in QuickBooks.
Let’s understand the process of how to void a check in QuickBooks.
How to Void a Check in Quick Books?
Voiding a check in QuickBooks will eliminate your old checks. These instructions will help you to void a check that was previously recorded in QuickBooks Online:
- Initially, you need to click on the banking option and then use register.
- Now, you have to click on the account that issued the check.
- To select the check that you want to void, click on the check number or entry.
- Next, you have to click on the edit option and then void check. You need to click on the yes option when asked with a message if you want to void the check in the current period. In case you want to void the check using the date it was originally issued on click no.
- At last, you need to click on the record.
Hope, with these steps you have understood how to void check in QuickBooks. Once you are done with these steps, the check’s amount in QuickBooks will turn to zero.
How to Void a Check from the Check page?
Here is the process of voiding a check from the check page:
- To start with, go to the expenses option.
- You have to choose a filter option.
- Then, you need to choose the check option in the type field.
- Thereafter, you have to choose the date in which the check was received and then click apply.
- Now, you have to choose the check to void from the expense transactions list to open it in the check screen.
- From the pop-up menu option, you have to choose more, and select void.
- Finally, if asked you need to choose the yes option to confirm the check that you wish to void.
Void a Check Without Opening the Transaction
With the help of these instructions, you can void a check from the expense transaction list:
- To begin with, you need to go to expenses.
- After that, you have to locate the check to void in the expense transactions list.
- You have to choose a void option from the view/edit ▼ drop-down menu.
- Lastly, if asked, choose yes to make sure you want to void the check.
Steps to Void a Paper Check within QuickBooks
These are the steps for voiding a paper check within QuickBooks:
- In the beginning, you need to click on banking and then write checks. Click on the account from which the check was issued.
- Now, you have to add the check number into the check number field. Then, you need to add a date to the date field.
- You need to add “0.00” into the “$” field. Add a payee name into the pay to the order of field.
- You have to click on edit and then void check. Click on yes when asked if you want to void the check in the current period. On the other hand, you have to click no if you want to void the check using the date it was originally issued on.
- Finally, you have to click on a record option.
GET INSTANT RESOLUTION
Get our expert Quickbooks ProAdvisor on call to resolve your query in no-time.
Steps to Void a Payroll Check
Follow these steps one by one to void a payroll check:
- You need to click on the payroll center icon in case you are using a third-party payroll service. You have to click on employees if you are handling your payroll through QuickBooks.
- After that, click on the down arrow if you are using a payroll service and then select void paychecks. In case you are not using a payroll service, you have to click void paychecks.
- You have to add a date range in the show paychecks from and through fields. With this, you need to press the tab key.
- You are required to click on the paycheck and then click on the void. Now, follow the onscreen instructions to verify the void process.
- In the end, you need to click done.
Hopefully, with the help of the blog you have got an idea of why to void a check in QuickBooks. We have also mentioned the different ways of how to void a check in QuickBooks.
If you have any questions related to how to void a check in QuickBooks, then dial the Toll-Free QuickBooks Support Number.
Frequently Asked Questions
A: Your check details like, account, payee, check date, number and memo will not change. At the time of voiding a check, the amount of the check changes to zero. But, the check details remains unchanged. In the bank account register, the check will appear but you need to insert void in the memo you can revert the voided check to the original transactions.
A: If your check is not been cashed, then you need to follow these steps to void it:
1. Firstly, you need to choose the accounting option.
2. After that, choose ‘chart of accounts’.
3. Next, you have to select the bank account and then choose ‘view register’.
4. Then after, you need to locate the desired check and with this click to highlight it.
5. Now, you have to click on the edit option.
6. You need to choose on a more and then select void.
7. Finally, have to confirm ‘Are you sure you want to void this check?’ by choosing Yes option.
A: You need to follow these steps to reissue- a check:
1. First, you need to edit the original paycheck and then go to the original paycheck.
2. Then, you have to reissue a replacement check. And, then press create +icon.
3. Now, select the check.
4. Finally, you have to void the check to balance your register. With this, open the check that you have created in step 2.
A: These steps will help you to cash a check:
1. To begin with, visit the issuing bank.
2. Now, you have to go to Walmart.
3. Then, endorse the check over to a friend.
4. You have to use a check-cashing
5. Finally, try pre-paid cards.
A: Voiding a check changes the amount of the transaction to zero and keeps a record of the transaction in QB. On the other hand, deleting a check will remove the transaction completely in QB.
A: Deleting a paycheck will remove the transaction from your payroll. In the contrary, voiding a paycheck changes your paycheck records and it will update the paycheck dollar amount to zero. You need to make adjustments to balance your books.
A: These instructions will fulfill the purpose of voiding and reprinting check:
1. You need to click on the lists option.
2. After that, go to chart of accounts.
3. Now, you have to double-click the checking account.
4. Then, double click the check that you want to print.
5. With this, click on the print icon.
6. Finally, click on save and then close.
A: These instructions will help you to edit an existing paycheck in QB:
1. First, you have to locate and then open the paycheck.
2. Now, on the paycheck window you can modify the check date, number, bank account or employee’s address.
3. Next, choose paycheck detail to modify or delete amounts.
4. Finally, choose ok and then select save and close.
A: In such case, please feel free to connect with the QuickBooks professionals. With their help, you can easily clear your doubts.