The 1099 Form is one of the Internal Revenue Service(IRS) tax forms. It is used to prepare and file the information return to report many types of income other than the regular wages or salaries. It is used to report payments made to independent contractors, rental income from property, income from dividends and interests and other types of miscellaneous income.
Before proceeding with the 1099 form filing, please review your company details and make any necessary changes which are required. Now you need to allocate the expense account you used to pay the contractor. To prepare to fill QuickBooks 1099 forms for your business, follow the following steps.
- Go to ‘Edit’ then choose ‘Preferences’.
- Move to the ‘Tax: 1099’ option and then switch to ‘Company Preferences’ tab in the ‘Preferences’ menu.
- For ‘Do you file 1099-MISC forms?’ Select ‘Yes’ and click ‘OK’ to save preferences.
- Choose ‘Vendor Center’ in the Vendor option on the toolbar.
- Double-click on the vendor, where you wish to add information for and to edit the vendor details.
- Once the correct vendor details have been added, Go to ‘Tax Settings’ section.
- Then click ‘OK’ to save the updated information.
- For all vendors, repeat the same step.
- After adding a vendor, go to ‘Tax: 1099’and click the provided option.
- Click on the button ‘Get Started’ on the next screen.
- Choose the vendors using check-boxes for 1099-eligible vendors and click on ‘Continue’ button.
- Verify the details of the added vendors and click on ‘Continue’ button.
- Click on ‘Show all accounts’ and then choose the accounts that need to be mapped with 1099 and which are to be omitted. Click on ‘Continue’.
- Review your payment for exclusion in the next step and click on ‘Continue’.
- You can double click on the vendor to view detailed information. After confirming, click on the ‘Continue’ button.
- In e-fling and print option, choose one to proceed.
E-File QuickBooks 1099 forms: Known issues and how to fix them
Here, we will discuss some major QuickBooks 1099 forms E-File issues and their solution. Follow all the steps carefully in order to resolve the issue.
QuickBooks not allowing access to other application: Application Certificate Window doesn’t appear while launching QuickBooks Desktop after installing the Tax 1099 plugin. This issue can occur if QuickBooks Desktop doesn’t allow other applications to access the company file. You’d need to follow the below steps to correct the problem:
- Go to Edit menu, click Preferences.
- On the left pane, choose Integrated Applications then go to the Company Preferences (Tab)
- Now uncheck the box Don’t allow any applications to access this company file then click OK.
- Now reopen QuickBooks.
If the Application Certificate window still doesn’t appear after performing the above steps, then follow the below steps:
- Close QuickBooks Desktop
- Disable your antivirus/network firewall.
- Open QuickBooks and wait for the Application Certificate prompt.
If Tax 1099 option doesn’t show in Vendors Menu even after successfully installing the plugin then you might have selected the wrong option when the Certificate Window appeared for the first time. You will be required to follow the below steps to fix it:
- Go to the Edit menu, click Preferences.
- Select Integrated Applications then go to the Company Preferences
- Make sure Don’t allow any applications to access this company file box is NOT checked.
- In the list of application names, look for Tax 1099, highlight it and click Reauthorize.
- QuickBooks Application Certificate window appears.
- Choose the third option Yes, whenever this QuickBooks company is open.
- Check the box enable this application to access personal data such as SSN and customer credit card data & click Continue
- In the Access confirmation window, click
- Check if Tax 1099 option is now available on the Vendors menu.
If you ever feel the need of taking advice from your fellow business owners that happened to be our existing subscribers, you can visit our thriving QuickBooks Community. Still, if you do not find an answer for your specific question within the community, in that case, you can also post your question in the community to get the requisite answer from the contributing members.