Keeping a track of a particular item is necessary to maintain the record of your purchase order for future reference. The purpose of recording the items can be fulfilled with the help of the QuickBooks purchase order feature in QuickBooks. Moreover, a purchase order tells you the complete information about the item’s quantity and price details. Knowing this much detail is not sufficient if you are running your business. In fact, you must know how to create a purchase order in QuickBooks to keep the records in one place.
Let’s discuss the steps to create a purchase order in QuickBooks Online. The steps will help you in keeping a permanent record of the business items.
Steps to Create QuickBooks Purchase Order
You have to follow these steps in order to create a purchase order in QuickBooks and to keep track of the items:
- Create a purchase order
To start with, tell QuickBooks that you have to create a purchase order by choosing Vendors –> Create Purchase Orders.
- Vendors menu drop-down list box
In the second step, the Vendor drop-down list box displays the lists of each vendor in your Vendor List on the system screen.
- Classify the purchased item
You need to classify the purchased item via the Class drop-down list box.
- Ship To address (Optional step)
After that, the Ship-To drop-down list box shows a list of the vendors, customers, and employees. You will select the ship-to address via choosing one of the aforementioned names. Then, after selecting an entry from the Ship-To list, QuickBooks fills ship to address box with the correct info.
- Mandatory to check the buying date
You need to check the date that QuickBooks has entered, as the purchase order date should be right.
- Confirm the purchase order number
Furthermore, the purchase order number identifies the purchase order document. Check that QuickBooks makes the correct purchase order number, if it is incorrect, you need to enter the replacement number.
- Check the vendor and ship to data
Apart from this, the Vendor block and Ship To block recognizes the vendor.
- Define each piece of information correctly
Use the columns to create a purchase order window to define in detail about each item that you have decided to order. If you want to describe an item that you wish to purchase from the vendor, you need to give the following info:
- Item: You need to add the items in the item column as well as and describe the item details in the item file.
- Description: The Description column can be used for describing the item that you have chosen. Apart from this, you can also edit the Description field anytime you feel like.
- Qty: You can identify the quantity of the items via Qty. You have to add the number of product items in the field of Qty.
- Rate: Add the rate per unit or price per unit of the item that you want to purchase.
- Customer: Customer column helps in finding the customer for whom the product is being purchased.
- Amount: The Amount column will give you an idea about the total amount expended for the particular item.
- Print the purchase order: To print the purchase order, you have to save all the purchase orders, and then select the File > Print Forms > Purchase Orders command.
- Save the purchase order: You can save your purchase order by clicking either on the Save & Close button or the Save & New button. In addition, these steps help in knowing the vendors, customers, and the details of the items you want to purchase. And makes easy for you to know the purchase details.
Hopefully, the blog was successful in making your concept clear about what the purchase order is and the logic behind creating a QuickBooks purchase order. It has also given you the comprehensive steps of how to create a purchase order in QuickBooks Online.
If you get stuck while following the steps to create QuickBooks purchase order, you can dial our QuickBooks Online Support Number +1-888-660-0582.