Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error “The file you specified cannot be opened”
QuickBooks Error “The file you specified cannot be opened” might leave you perplexed while you are in between something important. Though, you do not have any need to be perplexed anymore because the following blog will give an answer to all your dilemmas about the error, its causing elements apt for future precautionary steps, and solutions.
Cause of the QuickBooks error statement “The file you specified cannot be opened”
- The file is open on another server.
- The file is corrupt or damage.
- Your server has been attacked by malware.
- You are using a non-administrator account of the Windows.
- The QuickBooks isn’t properly installed.
- Windows or QuickBooks Update is incomplete or has failed.
- Inadequate credentials and permissions provided by the administrator.
How to fix the error “the file you specified cannot be opened”?
Solution 1: Try general solutions before trying advanced solutions
- Check if the file is open on another server.
- Check if the QuickBooks file is damaged (discussed in detail in solution 2).
- Scan your system with the help of virus and threat protection or your anti-virus software.
- Check if you are using an administrator account.
- Check if the QuickBooks and the Windows are up-to-date and properly installed.
You May Also Read: How to use QuickBooks Component Repair Tool? [xyz-ihs snippet=”consult-button”]
Solution 2: Use the QuickBooks file repair doctor
- QuickBooks file doctor is an amazing tool is design to repair and restore common file related issues:
- Download the QuickBooks file repair doctor application/tool using your internet browser.
- When prompted select desktop as your default app location
- Run once the download has completed successfully.
- After the QuickBooks file repair doctor which it will prompt you to select the error causing file, it will leave you with two options that are if you’d like to repair the file in an updated version or in the current version.
- Select whichever option desire.
- If not accomplished successfully, there might be an error with the QuickBooks or one more error mentioned in solution 1.
Move on to the next solution
Solution 3: Try opening another file
Check if the error stays the same by opening another file;
Create a sample file save it and try opening it. If the error continues to appear move on to the next solution.
Solution 4: Check your firewall settings and anti-virus settings, turn off if required
Go to start > Search Control Panel > Security and firewall settings.
Due to firewalls and anti-virus’s security settings there might be a file error, try making the following changes:
- Change security level to medium, if no change observes a switch to low for time being and restart your computer.
- Whitelist QuickBooks and its QuickBooks Database manager in your firewall and anti-virus software.
- If nothing works, switch the firewall and anti-virus security off for a while and if still the error persists move on to the next solution.
Solution 5: Try reinstalling and repairing the QuickBooks
Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs > Modify/Uninstall > you can either choose to completely uninstall the QuickBooks or modify its settings and repair it depending on the situation.
Hopefully, the above solutions will prove out to be a holy grail for you if not, you know what to do.
If, you are still in a dilemma of getting rid of QuickBooks Error – “The file you specified cannot be opened” while it is stuck in your mind and to your files then worry not as the QuickBooks Support Phone Number is just a call away.
If You ever feel the need of taking advice from your fellow business owners that happened to be our existing subscribers, you can visit our thriving QuickBooks Community. It has numerous answered questions that could lead to resolving many of your QuickBooks related problems.