QuickBooks Database Server Manager is a great tool to log into multiple accounts. Sometimes the user faces a problem where qbdbmgrn not running on this computer error arises leading to an access restriction when trying to access multi-user mode. A non-functional qbdbmgrn is an obstacle in solving many multi-user mode issues.
This article will enumerate how to resolve ‘qbdbmgrn not running on the computer.’ Unauthorized access to QuickBooks is most often the cause. Let’s go to the solution to understand how to resolve qbdbmgrn not running problem.
Why are you getting QBDBMgrN not running on this computer Error Message?
The error shows up while updating QuickBooks to the latest version, but the Windows firewall is not updated. Therefore, firewall block its access to the internet. When you attempt to repair company file using QB File Doctor, an error message appears “Repair the following network problems before accessing your company file from other computers on the network *QBDBMgrN not running on this computer”.
QB File Doctor can repair common issues automatically but it cannot configure firewall of your PC which is the major cause of problem. So, you have to manually change firewall settings and its port for establishing a secure internet connection.
How to Fix Error ‘qbdbmgrn not running on this computer’?
QuickBooks DB Server Manager rectifies several issues. Before trying out anything else, ‘Restart computer’ that has the company file. Restarting the computer several times corrects the qbdbmgrn not running problem. Though, if it did not work, try performing the below solutions.
Solution 1: QuickBooks is installed on the Host Computer.
If you see QuickBooks there on the server:
- Select ‘Open’ or restore ‘’
- Next, ‘Open a ’
- Click ‘Next’
- Search the Company file and choose it
- Now select ‘Open file in multi-user mode box’ and press ‘’
- You are logged into ‘ Company file ’ with username & password
- Choose ‘File’
- Now close ‘Company file on the ’
Solution 2: Only QBDBMGRN (QuickBooks Database Server Manager) is installed on the Host Computer
- Select ‘Windows’
- Navigate to the Control Panel
- Now, double-click on the ‘administrative tools’ and double-click on services.
- Click the Correct or appropriate ‘database ’
- Once done, Restart system
- After rebooting is complete, repeat the above steps depending on the setup.
If the problem does not gets solved then try the next solution.
Solution 3: Repairing QuickBooks
Look to repair QuickBooks for the below Windows versions.
Windows 7,8, 8.1 and 10
- Restart Computer once you close all programs that are blocking QuickBooks
- Backup the ‘Company’
- Select the ‘Start’ option and go to the Control (The Windows 8 & 8.1 users can go to start menu >> Open search and type ‘Control Panel.’ Now choose ‘Control Panel’ form results.
- Click ‘Programs & Features’ & Uninstall program (if needed). In case you do not see options, then ‘Select Programs and go to Program features.
- Click Program list>> Uninstall/modify >> Continue >> next
- Now press ‘Repair’ followed by ‘Next’ and wait till the Repair is complete
- Click ‘Finish’ and restart the computer if you get a prompt
- Now download the latest QuickBooks release. (US Customers have to download current Payroll tax table when opening QuickBooks.)
Solution 4: Error message ‘Files in use.’
If you have the error message ‘Files in Use’ then perform the below steps:
- First select ‘Ignore’ for the system reboot option
- Click OK. (Ignore the option as many times it comes and continues with the repair)
- If no ‘Ignore’ option comes, then click ‘’
- Once you complete the repair, then ‘Restart ’
Solution 5: Clean Install Tool
Perform a Clean Install of QuickBooks using, QuickBooks Clean Install Tool where you will need to ‘Uninstall, Rename installation folders, Re-install QuickBooks.’ Below given is the process.
Download the latest version of QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
- First Press ‘Windows + R’ to open the RUN command
- Next, Type ‘control panel’ and click OK
- Now choose ‘Programs & Features’ option. If you see Control Panel is in Category view, then click ‘Uninstall a ’
- Form the Programs list, select QuickBooks >> Uninstall/change.
- Follow the on seen instructions and prompts to complete the process.
Run QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
- Download the QB Clean Install Tool.exe file and save these files to your desktop
- Open QuickBooks_clean_Install_Utility.exe
- Click ‘I accept the ’
- Select the QuickBooks Desktop version and press ‘’
- Now select OK when you see the message- ‘QuickBooks is ready for Clean install’ and then install this to the Default
Rename QuickBooks Desktop Installation folders.
- Use ‘Windows Explorer’ to reflect hidden files
- Rename every folder location that is listed for the ‘Windows version’
- The folder location is
C:usersthe current userappdatalocalintuitQB (year)
C:program filesintuitquickbooks( year)
64 bit version c:program files (x86)IntuitQuickBooks (year)
Note: Add ‘old’/ ‘damaged’ at the end of your folder name. This will prevent QuickBooks from knowing the folder to create a new folder. [xyz-ihs snippet=”consult-button”]
The error should be resolved by now. However, if you see an error message saying ‘Access Denied’ while renaming the folders, then you can perform the below steps.
Select Windows Task Bar & choose Task Manager
- In the processes tab, select ‘image name’ column header to sort processes alphabetically.
- Select QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFmonitorservice.exe, Qbw32.exe & click ‘End’.
- Choose ‘Yes’ to the warning message that comes.
- Re-install QuickBooks by downloading & installing QuickBooks Desktop.
If the problem still prevails and you are unable to fix the issue on your own. Our experts are available to help you resolve the problem in very less time. Call us on our QuickBooks ProAdvisor Support Number.
If you ever feel the need of taking advice from your fellow business owners that happened to be our existing subscribers, you can visit our thriving QuickBooks Community.