QuickBooks is an invincible solution widely used by small and mid-sized businesses and freelance professionals to fulfill the accounting needs. Multi-user mode in QuickBooks is a feature that enables users to work on the same Company File simultaneously. QuickBooks H-Series Errors is an inevitable error caused due to internal or external technical glitches. QuickBooks Error H202 occurs when a Workstation fails to communicate with the Company file and doesn’t allow users to access the company file.
This article is envisioned to help you analyze the causes of QuickBooks Error H202. The resolution methods are further simplified with easy steps to fix QuickBooks H202 Error while you open the company file from a workstation. The actual Error message is illustrated as “You are trying to work with a company file that is located on another computer, and this copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server on that computer. (H202)”
Before you apply the steps to troubleshoot H202 Error in QuickBooks, understanding the causes of Error H202 in QuickBooks is essential. Recognizing the causes QB Error H202 will help you in effective removal of QB Error H202.
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code H202
The elements that trigger QuickBooks Error Code H202 are numerous as listed below. Please take the due course to understand the facts to fix QB Error H202 on your own.
Whenever you open the Company file, QuickBooks attempts to establish a connection to the QuickBooks Server. When QuickBooks is unable to connect to the remote server in order to open the company file, QuickBooks Error H202 occurs.
- Wrong QuickBooks file hosting configuration or settings.
- QuickBooks communication is blocked by a Security software of a firewall.
- QuickBooks workstation is unable to ping the Host computer (IP address is unreachable)
- Conflicting QuickBooks Database Manager conflicts with DNS Server.
- Inoperative QuickBooks Services or damaged services components.
- Clash in Multiple Database Server Manager versions running.
- QuickBooks Error Code H202 port not available
The solutions to this error are different depending on the cause of the H series error. The methods to fix H-series Errors in QuickBooks (H101, H202, H303, H505) have similarities in it with few exceptions. Methods to resolve QuickBooks H202 error in the order placed for the optimum solution to QB Error H202.
GET INSTANT RESOLUTION
Get our expert Quickbooks ProAdvisor on call to resolve your query in no-time.
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Error H202
Method – 1: Network Connectivity Testing and Calibration
- Firstly, open QuickBooks on all the computers networked for using QuickBooks.
- Click on the File menu and select Utilities and turn of hosting.
- Press windows key and type this “This PC” on the QuickBooks Host Computer.
- Meanwhile, double-click the Network option from the left window pane to verify that all the networked are visible.
- Ping all the workstations respectively from the QuickBooks Host / Server computer.
- Start to ping the QuickBooks Server / Host from the computer showing QB Error Code H202.
- The command for the ping test has to be done on Command Prompt.
- Lastly, ping command syntax: ping [Computer Name] and press Enter.
Latency in the command response and data packet loss indicate the Local Area Network glitches and the cause of Error Code H202. Fix the network issues on your own, if you are tech savvy a little bit. The network issues are not hardware oriented most of the times and may need the involvement of a QuickBooks Technician.
Method – 2: Analyze Network issues with QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool
- Download and install the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool.
- Run the tool and Scan the QuickBooks Company file folder.
- Take note of the IP address shown when the tool runs.
- Enable the ports which have the Open Ports Button in the firewall Status section.
- Follow the wizard instruction till the end.
- Try to open the file from the computer where Error Coder H202 occurs.
If the error code H202 still prevails, get QuickBooks firewall port exceptions added in your Windows Firewall and the security software to get rid of Error code H202.
QuickBooks Firewall ports Information
- QuickBooks 2016 firewall Ports: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
- QB 2017 firewall Ports: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
- QuickBooks 2018 Firewall Ports: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
- QB 2019 does not have any static Firewall Ports. The ports are automatically renewed once you scan the company file in Database Server Manager In case you still encounter H202 Error in QuickBooks, try the next method.
Method – 3: Append the QuickBooks Server Information into Windows Host File
- The windows host file is located (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc)
- Make sure to apply this method on the computers where you are getting QuickBooks Error Code H202.
- Browse to the windows host file location as shown above.
- Right-click the Windows host file and select open with option and select notepad.
- Scroll to the end of the host file and type the IP Address of the server.
- Press TAB key once from your keyboard and type QuickBooks Server Name.
- Press Ctrl+S to save the changes in the host file and close the note pad.
This method normally helps to get rid of H202 Error QuickBooks while opening the company file or try method-4.
Method – 4: Change your Company File Location
- Create New Folder to keep your company file in, preferably Drive C: on your computer.
- Select the company file and the respective.TLG file from the existing company file folder and Press Ctrl + C to copy.
- Go to the New Company file folder and press Ctrl + V to copy the company file.
- Try to open the file in multi-user mode
- If error h202 error opening the company file still occurs, try out the next step.
Method – 5: Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Press Windows+R from your keyboard and type msc and select Services Icon.
- Scroll through the List of services and select QuickBooksDBxx (Wherein XX represents the version of your QuickBooks).
- Double-Click the QuickBooksDBxx services and click the Stop to disable the service.
- Select the service start option as Automatic from the drop-down menu followed by Start
- Open QuickBooks and try to open the file again.
QuickBooks H202 Error is also seen if the QuickBooks Database Server Manager service doesn’t work. If you still encounter H202 QuickBooks while opening the company file despite restarting the service try the next one.
Method – 6: Rename .TLG and .ND File
- Close QuickBooks on all the computers.
- Open the company file folder on the server computer.
- Search and select .TLG file associated with to your QuickBooks File having QuickBooks Error H202 while opening it.
- Right-click on .TLG file and select Rename.
- To rename the file prefix OLD before the file name and hit enter.
- Try the same steps for. ND file as well and close the QuickBooks Company File Folder.
- After these steps the. ND and .TLG file will be automatically created when you open the company file again.
- Open the company file again while holding the alternate key down till the file opens up.
- You normally shouldn’t have Errors opening company file after this step.
Proceed with the following method if the problem still persists.
Method – 7: Repair and Update QuickBooks
Method – 8: Open Windows Control Panel
- Firstly, close QuickBooks on all the computers. QuickBooks repair can be done simultaneously on all the computers.
- Open Windows Control Panel and select Programs and Features
- From the list of installed programs select QuickBooks and click Change/Repair
- Allow all the positive options throughout QuickBooks Software repair
- Once the repair is done, update QuickBooks to the latest release.
- Finally, you can try opening the company file to check if the QuickBooks Error H202 repair was successful.
The steps to fix H202 Error QuickBooks must have helped to get back in business. What all would be done to permanently fix the H-Series (H202) error in QuickBooks.
- Diagnosis of QuickBooks Software.
- Remove errors from the QuickBooks Company file.
- Get rid of recurring QuickBooks Errors.
- Prevent QuickBooks Data Loss.
- Fix QuickBooks Freeing issues.
QuickBooks Error H202 is tough to resolve at times. However, our ProAdvisor can help you fix the problems instantly. You might face some issues understanding deep technical terms while following the steps mentioned above. Call us on our QuickBooks Customer Support Number to get the most reliable solutions.
A: QuickBooks Error Code H202 appears while establishing a connection to the company file in the QuickBooks Desktop, but unable to communicate with the server. This happens because of the wrong configuring settings and blockage by the firewall.
A: The following are the steps to check, how many PC’s have been affected by the error H202 QuickBooks.
Initially, update the QuickBooks Database Server Manager from your server.
Now, verify the services on your system and add them to the Windows Admin group.
After that, configuring the firewall settings and ping the server.
Finally, add the server to the Windows hosts file.
A: You can attempt the following solutions to resolve the QuickBooks Error H303.
Use the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
Validate the QuickBooks Settings
Change the path of the Company File.
Edit the Firewall Settings.
A: Underneath are the possible solutions that can be performed to fix the error H505 QuickBooks.
Check the hosting on the server and QuickBooks sever on the system.
Validate the Windows Hosts File
Search the IP address and PC’s name.
Check the QuickBooks services on the server.
A: QuickBooks Error H505 encounters when you are trying to launch the company files or data on another PC. This happens when the PC doesn’t have a proper establishment set up or requires further installation. To continue working on the QuickBooks company file, you need to deal with the error H505 ASAP.
A: If you are experiencing error codes H101, H202, H303, or H505 while trying to switch to multi-user mode, this indicates that something is blocking the multi-user access to the server. All of these error codes come under the QuickBooks H series.
A: If you are experiencing the QuickBooks H101 Error, apply the solutions mentioned below.
Solution 1: Check the QuickBooks Services
Solution 2: Verify QuickBooks hosting
Last Solution: Make a new folder of the company file.
A: The following list contains all the probable causes behind the occurrence of the error H202 QuickBooks.
When the QuickBooks services are not responding.
Due to the wrong settings of the hosting configuration.
Because of not setting up QuickBooks firewall properly.
If the server contains the damaged QuickBooks installation.
A: Given below are the steps to fix the multi-user hosting errors.
First of all, search for the company files locally on the server.
Choose the Check your network option and select the Continue option.
Click on the Server option on the host system.
Finally, choose yes.
A: Here, we are exploring the steps to create a new folder for the company file.
First of all, make a new folder and share it with the hosting PC.
And then, you have to set the windows to access the shared company files.
Now, copy the .qbw file and paste it into the new folder.
Lastly, access the company file in multi-user mode.