Everyone aims for increased efficiency and improved outcomes, and the desire for such enhancements extends to QuickBooks accounting software. Many users of QuickBooks Desktop Pro or Premier express an interest in transitioning to QuickBooks Enterprise. The primary driving factors for this upgrade include core features, advanced inventory management, and advanced pricing capabilities. Enterprise solutions offer functionalities exclusive to this version.
If you’re a QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier user contemplating an upgrade to QuickBooks Enterprise and seeking a reliable walkthrough, this post is a valuable resource for you. We will thoroughly guide you through the essential steps to facilitate a smooth upgrade process. Ensure that you read through this article in its entirety for a comprehensive understanding.
Why Upgrade from QuickBooks Pro/Premier to QuickBooks Enterprise?
When considering an upgrade from QuickBooks Pro/Premier to QuickBooks Enterprise, the multitude of benefits offered by the latter, particularly new features and enhanced scalability, stand out as the most compelling reasons for users to make the switch. Here’s a concise overview of the latest features integrated into QuickBooks Enterprise:
1. Expanded Company File Sizes:
QuickBooks Enterprise excels in managing significantly larger company file sizes compared to QuickBooks Pro/Premier.
2. Windows Terminal Services Compatibility:
Built with Windows terminal services, QuickBooks Enterprise seamlessly runs with multiple users connected to the same Windows server.
3. User Capacity:
QuickBooks Enterprise accommodates up to 30 to 40 users, a substantial increase from the limited 5 and 3 users allowed in Pro and Premier versions, respectively.
4. Custom Fields:
QuickBooks Enterprise supports up to 15 custom item fields and 12 custom name fields, surpassing the restrictions of 5 and 7 in Pro and Premier versions. Custom fields can have data field format input specifications and drop-down menus.
5. Automatic Version Upgrades:
With an active subscription, QuickBooks Enterprise automatically upgrades to the latest available version.
6. Advanced Search Capabilities:
QuickBooks Enterprise allows searching for items within transactions using part numbers, descriptions, or custom fields.
7. Default Classes:
The Enterprise version introduces default classes, enabling automatic assignment of a class in transactions to a name, item, or account.
The list of exclusive features in QuickBooks Enterprise goes beyond these points, making a compelling case for users of QuickBooks Pro/Premier to consider upgrading. The decision to move to Enterprise is now clearer, and the subsequent section will guide you through the upgrade process.
Similarities Between QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier and Enterprise
The resemblance between QuickBooks Enterprise and QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier is striking, not only in appearance but also in features, creating a familiar working environment for users. The features of the Enterprise solution closely mirror those of the previous versions, ensuring a seamless transition for users upgrading from Pro/Premier.
One notable similarity lies in the effortless transfer of existing lists to the new program. However, a key departure from the previous versions is the absence of data restrictions in QuickBooks Enterprise. To illustrate, QuickBooks Pro and Premier impose limits of 14,500 names and 14,500 items. In contrast, Enterprise eliminates these constraints, offering greater flexibility.
To delve deeper into the enhanced capabilities of QuickBooks Enterprise, consider the following:
1. Data Limits and User Permissions:
Unlike Pro and Premier, QuickBooks Enterprise doesn’t impose data limits. Users can set up more robust security by finely tuning permissions, accommodating up to 30 simultaneous users.
2. Performance and Reporting:
QuickBooks Enterprise is designed for swift operation and quicker report generation, enhancing overall efficiency.
3. Expanded Payroll Features:
The Enterprise version allows for the storage of more comprehensive information about employees, particularly in the optional payroll feature. It simplifies the tracking of raises, bonuses, and other related activities.
In summary, while the visual and operational similarities with QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier provide a comfortable transition, QuickBooks Enterprise introduces key enhancements, including the removal of data restrictions and advanced security features. These improvements contribute to a more efficient and tailored financial management experience.
What are the Newly Introduced Features?
|Newly Introduced Features|
|1. Enhanced Inventory Receiving|
|– Improved functionality for handling inventory receipts.|
|2. Advanced Inventory|
|– Advanced tools and capabilities for efficient inventory management.|
|3. Better Custom Field Creation Options|
|– Enhanced flexibility in creating and managing custom fields.|
|4. Class Assignment for Accounts, Items, or Names|
|– Ability to assign classes to various entities, enhancing categorization.|
|5. Expanded Journal Entry Options|
|– More options and flexibility in creating and managing journal entries.|
|6. Custom Advanced Reporting with ODBC|
|– Customized reporting using Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) for advanced insights.|
GET INSTANT RESOLUTION
Get our expert Quickbooks ProAdvisor on call to resolve your query in no-time.
What are the Steps to Upgrade QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier to Enterprise
Embarking on the upgrade journey to QuickBooks Enterprise involves a meticulous step-by-step process. Let’s delve into each stage:
Step 1: Preparing and Testing the Network
Before initiating the upgrade, it’s essential to focus on networking, file sharing, and permissions. Consider the following:
1. Ensuring the Right Team:
Engage a skilled system or network administrator proficient in networking, file sharing, and QuickBooks Enterprise software installation and configuration.
Collaborate with a financial professional familiar with the company’s financial needs for setting up the company file.
2. Selecting Network Setup:
Choose the most suitable network setup option based on your business requirements:
- Central Server Option: Install QuickBooks database server manager on a central server, with Enterprise on each workstation accessing the company file over the network.
- Peer-to-Peer Option: One workstation stores the company file, and other workstations access it over the network.
- Remote Desktop Services Option: Install the Enterprise application on a powerful central server, which also stores the company file. Workstations don’t have Enterprise installed.
- Linux Server Option: Store the QuickBooks company file on a Linux server, utilizing Enterprise on Windows desktop clients to access the data.
3. Testing Network Bandwidth:
- Assess network bandwidth for a multi-user environment with the following steps:
- Choose a large data file for testing.
- Note the size of the test file in megabytes.
- Copy the test file from a network location to the system and measure the time taken.
- Calculate network bandwidth: (file size x 8) / copy time.
- Verify firewall and antivirus settings.
- Ensure compliance with system requirements.
This meticulous preparation ensures a stable and efficient network environment for the QuickBooks Enterprise upgrade. Following these steps sets the foundation for a successful transition to the enhanced features of QuickBooks Enterprise.
Step 2: Installing QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise
To begin, ensure that you install the same version of QuickBooks Enterprise on all systems. Follow these step-by-step instructions:
1. Prepare for Installation:
Close all running programs and temporarily disable any antivirus software to avoid conflicts during the installation.
2. Download and Double-Click:
Double-click the downloaded QuickBooks Enterprise file. If you have the optional backup CD, installation can be initiated from there.
3. Follow On-Screen Instructions:
Proceed with the installation by following the on-screen instructions until the “Choose Installation Type” window appears.
4. Select Installation Option:
Choose between the express option for automatic installation choices or the custom and network options for a more personalized installation.
5. Configure Installation Type:
Select one of the three alternatives for how QuickBooks will be installed:
- Use QuickBooks on this Computer: Company file stored on a different computer.
- Use QuickBooks on this Computer and Store Company File Here: Suitable for a server actively used as a user workstation in a peer-to-peer network.
- Do Not Use QuickBooks on this System, But Store Company File Here: Recommended for servers where only the QuickBooks database server manager is installed.
6. Select Options:
Choose options according to your requirements and continue following on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
7. Launch QuickBooks Database Server Manager:
After installation, launch the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to configure the database server.
Installing QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Server Manager: For Linux users looking to install QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Manager, it is advisable to opt for the Linux database server manager.
Configuring the Database Server Manager: This step is crucial and should be completed on the server or computer where the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise company file will be stored. Follow these measures:
1. Navigate to Start Menu: Move to the Start tab on Windows and click on it.
2. Access QuickBooks: Choose the Programs option and select QuickBooks.
3. Open Database Server Manager: Click on the Database Server Manager option to open the tool.
4. Scan Company Files:
- Scan all company files to allow access to other QuickBooks users.
- Choose the Scan Folders tab in the configuring database server manager window.
- Select the Add Folder tab to browse the server and choose folders containing company files.
- Click the Scan tab to start the scanning process.
5. Monitor Hard Drives:
- Select the Monitored Drives tab.
- Choose all local drives that you want to monitor.
Step 3: Setting Up Sharing
Providing Access to Company Files
To facilitate efficient collaboration, it’s crucial to provide proper access to QuickBooks company files across the network. Follow these steps:
Shared Folder Setup:
- Share the folder containing QuickBooks company data.
- Ensure all users have read/write access to the directory storing the files.
- Grant authority to create and remove files within the shared directory.
Setting Up Multi-User Hosting
For streamlined multi-user access, configure the system hosting the company file as follows:
1. Single Hosting System:
- Set up the system with the company file to host multi-user access.
- In multi-user mode, only one system can host this feature.
- Turn off multi-user hosting on all other software installations to prevent conflicts.
2. QuickBooks Database Server Manager Installation:
If QuickBooks Database Server Manager is installed on a file server, multi-user hosting on the server does not need to be enabled.
Step 4: Converting Data from Pro or Premier
1. Backing Up the Company File
Before transitioning to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise, safeguard your company data with these backup steps:
- Navigate to File Menu: Visit the File menu in QuickBooks.
- Create Backup: Choose the option to create a backup.
- Select Safe Location: Select a secure location for the backup file, preferably on a separate system or server.
2. Updating the Company File
To ensure a smooth transition, follow these steps to update your company file from Pro/Premier to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise: Open QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
- Open Company Data File: Open the company data file previously used for Pro/Premier.
- Enter Admin Password: Enter the admin password for authentication.
- Checkbox Confirmation: Check the box indicating your understanding that the company file will be updated to the new version of QuickBooks.
- Hit Update Now: Click on “Update now” to initiate the update process.
- Follow On-Screen Instructions: Choose OK and proceed with the on-screen instructions.
- Confirm Update: When prompted, select Yes to confirm the update.
By adhering to these meticulous steps, you not only safeguard your company data but also ensure a smooth transition to the advanced features of QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise. Stay tuned for further steps to optimize your QuickBooks experience!
Step 5: Fine-Tuning Your QuickBooks Enterprise Experience
As we reach the final stage of the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise upgrade, Step 5 involves configuring essential network and server settings. This step ensures that QuickBooks Enterprise seamlessly integrates with your existing infrastructure, providing a familiar environment with enhanced capabilities.
1. Configuring Lists and User Permissions
QuickBooks Enterprise maintains the look and feel of earlier versions while introducing advanced capabilities. As you configure lists and user permissions, keep in mind that existing lists will transition to Enterprise without the previous data limits. Unlike QuickBooks Pro and Premier, which cap storage at 14,500 names and 14,500 items, Enterprise imposes no such constraints. This newfound flexibility empowers you to modify permissions as needed, now accommodating up to 30 simultaneous users.
2. Registering Enterprise Software
Registration is a pivotal step that unlocks the full potential of QuickBooks Enterprise, granting access to benefits like technical support. Follow these steps to register your QuickBooks Enterprise software:
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise: Start QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise on your system.
- Navigate to the Help Menu: Head to the Help menu within QuickBooks.
- Select Register QuickBooks: Choose the option to register QuickBooks.
- Begin Registration: Select “Begin Registration” and follow the onscreen instructions.
It’s crucial to note that if you ever decide to move your installation from one system to another, a re-registration of QuickBooks Enterprise on the new system will be necessary.
By completing these steps, you ensure that your QuickBooks Enterprise is not only configured to your specific needs but also registered to fully capitalize on the advantages that come with the Enterprise version, including access to technical support. Stay tuned for a seamless and optimized financial management experience with QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise!
Resolving QuickBooks Enterprise Update Errors and Issues
Discover effective troubleshooting methods for addressing update-related problems encountered while updating QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise software.
What if you encounter an Error During the QuickBooks Enterprise Update?
When facing difficulties upgrading to QuickBooks Enterprise from QuickBooks Desktop Premier/Pro, follow these steps in both Enterprise and Premier software. If you’ve uninstalled the Premier version, reinstall it without uninstalling the QuickBooks Enterprise version.
1. Navigate to the main menu bar, select File, then go to Utilities, and choose Restore Backup for QuickBooks Premier Version.
2. Check the option next to the tab labeled Backup filename field.
3. Locate the backup generated during the software update and click to open it. The default location is where you saved the backup file last time.
4. Check the option next to the tab labeled Restored filename field.
5. In the Save In list, click on the folder where the restored file should be saved (preferably on the desktop).
6. Type a unique name under the file name to avoid overwriting the older file.
7. Click Save, then select OK to complete the process.
What if you face an Error in the Previous Version of QuickBooks Desktop?
If errors persist in the previous version of QuickBooks Desktop, access the QuickBooks Premier version, open it, and follow these steps:
1. Navigate to the main menu bar, select File, then go to Open/Restore Company and click on the required company file to open it.
2. Open the file restored on the desktop by clicking on it.
3. Select File, go to the Utilities tab, and choose Rebuild Data.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions for the rebuild process.
5. Once the rebuild process is complete, exit from the Premier version of the software.
By diligently following these steps, you can troubleshoot QuickBooks Enterprise update errors and ensure a smooth software update process.
As we wrap up this process and the post, we trust that the insights provided have proven helpful in guiding your upgrade from QuickBooks Desktop Pro/Premier to QuickBooks Enterprise. If you encounter any challenges or come across errors during this transition, do not hesitate to reach out to us at our Toll-Free number: +1-855-875-1223.
Our team of experts and certified professionals stands ready to offer seamless assistance, ensuring a smooth and effortless upgrade of your software to the enterprise level. Your success with QuickBooks Enterprise is our priority, and we are here to support you every step of the way.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. Why should the transition to QuickBooks Enterprise be considered over Desktop Pro/Premier?
QuickBooks Enterprise stands out by offering a suite of advanced features, making it the choice for larger businesses. This includes sophisticated inventory management, personalized user permissions, and a range of exclusive and impeccable features tailored for businesses with comprehensive financial needs.
Q. What factors should be taken into account before converting to QuickBooks Enterprise from Desktop Pro/Premier?
Before initiating the conversion to QuickBooks Enterprise (QBES), it is crucial to assess the license cost. Evaluate whether the additional features and capabilities provided by QBES justify the associated cost. Additionally, ensure that your system meets the minimum requirements necessary to run QuickBooks Enterprise seamlessly.
Q. Is it possible to retain access to company data in Desktop Pro/Premier after transitioning to QuickBooks Enterprise?
Certainly! Following the conversion to QuickBooks Enterprise, you can still access your company data in Desktop Pro/Premier. However, it’s essential to note that specific alterations made in QuickBooks Enterprise won’t be reflected in the Desktop Pro/Premier version. Careful consideration of these dynamics ensures a smooth and informed transition process.
Q. What benefits does QuickBooks Enterprise offer over Desktop Pro/Premier?
QuickBooks Enterprise provides advanced features such as sophisticated inventory management, expanded user permissions, and exclusive functionalities. It is designed to meet the complex financial needs of larger businesses, making it a preferred choice for scalability and customization.