QuickBooks error 12031 occurs while updating QuickBooks or updating QuickBooks payroll service. This error happens because of the network timeout that restricts QuickBooks from accessing the server. Additionally, you will encounter this error because of the firewall or some other security issues.
Error 12031 QuickBooks is a common error that needs an immediate and correct solution. In this article, we will discuss everything about this error and what are the top-recommended solutions for it.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 12031
Multiple causes can lead to QuickBooks Error code 12031 and it is necessary to figure out which one is causing the error to your QuickBooks. Below given is the ‘causes list’ that will guide you check which areas to look into for correcting QuickBooks error 12031.
- Issues with Internet Connectivity
- Network Timeout – this prevents QuickBooks from accessing the server
- The Firewall, Anti-virus software or Internet security hindering updates
- Issues with the default browser option
- Invalid SSL Settings.
Now we know the causes for QB Error code 12031, the next question is to resolve them. We will enumerate four easy solutions to rectify these issues. It is important to follow the solution as guided below.
Solutions to fix QuickBooks Update Error 12031
Below provided are the four solutions that will resolve QuickBooks Error 12031 and will restore your workflow.
- First Click ‘Help’
- Next, Click Internet connections setup
- Click option ‘Use my computer’s internet connection settings to create a connection when the app accesses the internet.’
- Click NEXT, and then press ‘’
Now update again
- For QuickBooks 2008 and later versions- select < strong> Help, click ‘Update QuickBooks’ and, Update Now
- For 2006 and earlier versions- Select File and click ‘Update QuickBooks’ and Choose ‘Update now.’
- Firstly, click <strong> Update now </strong> tab.
- Select ‘Reset Update checkbox’ click ‘Get updates’ option
If the program update doesn’t work then:
- Check the internet connection
- Check to configure internet security & personal firewall applications for QuickBooks Updates
- Start Microsoft Windows in the ‘safe mode’ & download it again.
GET INSTANT RESOLUTION
Get our expert Quickbooks ProAdvisor on call to resolve your query in no-time.
- Open the menu for ‘internet Connection setup’ available in QuickBooks
- Click on ‘Internet Properties’
- You can see several tabs in ‘internet properties’
- From the available selections- click ‘Advanced’ tab
- Ensure that the advanced setting matches
- Click the ‘Apply’ button
- Click ‘OK,’ and you need to close the window
- In the end, Close QuickBooks and open it again and try the Payroll Update process again.
- Close QuickBooks
- Click Internet Explorer
- Click on ‘Tools’ and Click ‘internet options’.
- Select ‘Security tab’ and click ‘Globe icon.’ ( Ensure that security setting for this zone is up to Medium High only and not higher than that)
- Click the ‘Content’ tab and ensure that the content advisor button says ‘’
- Press Button, if that says ‘Disable’ then enter the password and then disable the content advisor.
- Click on ‘Connections Tab’ and perform the below-given steps:
- Select ‘never dial a connection option’ ( this is when you do not use the dial-up node(DUN) on the system)
- Use the dial-up node (DUN) and ensure that the correct ISP is selected
- Now click OK
- On the bottom of the tab Press ‘LAN SETTINGS’ button
- Ensure that ‘automatically detect settings’ option is checked.
- Verify ‘Use a Proxy server Checkbox’ is clear
- When there is a checkmark done, then Use Proxy server’. Also, document the complete address & port.
- If the port is other than port 80, then Do not Uncheck ‘Use a Proxy’. Moreover, use the Proxy box for testing purposes. If the port is ‘Port 80’, then you can Uncheck.
- On the LAN Settings, Select OK
Now select the ‘Advanced ’
- Click ‘Restore Advanced Settings ’
- In the settings, Scroll down to find ‘use TLS 1.0, Use TLS 1.1 & Use QuickBooks TLS 1.2 options( these options might not be available in the IE version)
- Ensure that ‘Use TLS 1.0 is checked’ and ‘Use TLS 1.2 is not ’
- Click OK & close the Internet Options window
- Close Internet Explorer & Restart your computer
- Now open QuickBooks and try to Update again and check if the problem is rectified.
Thanks for reading this blog. It is comprehensive and elaborate at every step. Hopefully, one of the solutions has already solved your problem, and QuickBooks error 12031 is not there anymore. If you could not follow any step in the above-provided solutions and need further information, then directly seek technical assistance. You can call at QuickBooks Software Error Support Number to get the concern solved within minutes.