There could be several reasons for you wanting to transfer QuickBooks to new computer along with the license. The procedure of transferring QuickBooks to a new computer is not a complicated one. That is, if you know the correct procedure and follow the right steps. You can transfer a backup of your old computer’s QuickBooks file once you have installed a newer or the same version of QuickBooks on your new computer. You can continue to track scheduled payments to vendors, your rent, and the record of all your business income and expenses once the backup process has been completed.
The objective of this article to provide you with the steps that you must undertake in order to move QuickBooks to a new computer.
Steps to Transfer QuickBooks to New Computer
If you are operating on the currently supported versions of QuickBooks, then you can create a backup from within your QuickBooks software that will save almost everything that you need to restore your Company file on a new (different) computer. Additionally, if you aren’t already creating regular backups of your QuickBooks files, you should do so each time you update your account files to ensure you don’t lose valuable financial data. However, transferring QuickBooks to a new computer requires that you perform the proper steps, otherwise all your data might get lost.
The following are the steps that you must follow in order to transfer QuickBooks to a new computer:
- To begin with, you will need to create a backup of all your data files and licenses.
- Then, you will have to download the backup onto a new computer.
- Install your QuickBooks program on your new system securely after you are done with the previous maneuver.
- Next, restore all the backup files that you need within QuickBooks.
- Finally, delete the program from the older system.
Steps to Restore a Backup File on your New Computer
You will need to perform the following steps to restore the backup file so you can use it on your new computer:
- Firstly, insert your personal storage device into the new computer and open QuickBooks.
- Navigate to the File section.
- Select the option of ‘Open or Restore Company’.
- Next, you will need to click on ‘Restore a Backup Copy’ and click on the ‘Next’ option.
- Then, you must click on the ‘Local Backup’ file as the location to save your backup file and then click on next.
- Navigate to the location of the external device and click on the backup file if QuickBooks does not automatically detect the backup file.
- After that, click to open up the backup file. Click on the ‘Save’ option and then scroll to the location on your computer where you want to restore and save the backup file.
- Finally, click on the ‘Save’ option to restore the QuickBooks file to your new computer.
Now, there are certain measures that you must undertake after you have successfully transferred QuickBooks to a new computer.
Steps to follow after Moving QuickBooks to a New or a Different Computer
These are the steps that you will need to perform after you have moved your QuickBooks to a different computer and in order to make sure everything is operating fine:
- To begin with, you will need to sign in into each service separately in order to use all the features of QuickBooks Desktop like Intuit Data Protect and Payroll.
- Then, you will have to copy the other company files to the new computer using an external storage device in case you have, more than one company files.
- Finally, you must make sure that you create a backup of your company file data on the new computer where you have transferred your QuickBooks program to complete the process.
Hopefully, all your doubts have cleared about ‘transfer QuickBooks to new computer’ via this instructive post. If in case, you still have any queries related to the steps of importing accounting changes, feel free to talk to our technicians. Our experts are there to resolve each query related to the QuickBooks accounting software. So contact us right away to get solutions to all your issues and make the software bug-free.